Concept4Banner1024 The Plural of Apocalypse: Fan-atic

 Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Fan-atic

So, I've been reading the Harry Potter books, and you know what I realized? I am not a Harry Potter person. I should offer this caveat. I am a prone to obsession over fiction.

Case and Point: I am a Buffy and Angel junkie, but my heroin is Firefly. I push these fandoms on everyone I know, I seek people out to convert and when I do I have temporary satisfaction. Of course this is the kind of Sci-fi fanatacism that cannot alone be fueld by reruns on TV. No I own 7 season of Buffy, 5 Seasons of Angel and the only season of Firefly on DVD. Each disc has probably been watched a minimum of 5 times. Cos I get all hooked. I can't stop myself. Then came the trading card collections, and then statues, action figures, comic books, novels, philosophy books, anything related to the 'verse. I've even been to a Buffy convention, yeah, I am this big of a geek. I can't help it. I love these characters. Hell, I've written fan fiction for all of these series, some of it just pure smut (cos you never get the good stuff on TV so you have to make it up). I drove 6 hours to see Serenity at an advanced screening in Chicago in June, then I proceeded to see the movie at midnight opening night, then I took my dad, then I went again with a fan and I would have gone again but our theaters dump movies at lightning speed. I've already ordered my copy of the DVD, I have plans to buy copies as Christmas gifts for anyone who I know won't buy it on their own. I need help.

Back to the Potter, I think I'm all fanned out. I don't think I have room in my rapid little heart for any more fandoms. I mean there are Star Wars people, Trekkies, Trekkers, Lord of the Rings fans (Ringers), now there are the Lost obsessed (which I am half heartedly, I just can't keep up with all of it), and then there are Whedonites and Harry Potter fans. Hell the Whedonites are even broken up into Firefly/Serenity only fans, Buffy only fans, Angel only fans, and then any mix of the 3, and all 3. It's insanity. I'm full up on fandom. I've reached my limit.

The books are a nice, easy, enjoyable read, but I wouldn't madly hit refresh on my computer like a mad-woman to get advanced screening tickets for the movie. While I am trying to design and finish a Inara/Nandi costume, I would never find a need to make a cloak or cape or whatever and eat Bertie Bott's Beans. I think people can get full-up on fandoms, or get burnt out (the lead up to Serenity's release was chaotic). I think I'm full-up.

Granted I will never ever think people with fan-obsessions are strange or wierd or whatever, cos I know what it's like to be one of them. It's great. Some people think you do it cos you are a lonely sad pathetic person who'd never been out of mom's basement and who's never known the touch of the opposite sex. On the contrary, most of them are the most interesting, creative, exciting people I've met. Never discount your average geek. They enjoy these fictional realms cos everyone needs a little fiction in their life, without it we go mad cos the real world is really depressing. Escaping for a little while is fun.

And just remember The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth.

Votes Of Sympathy:9

Comments Blogger Pause said...

Boy i am a Buffy fan and you make me look tame. Waiting for firefox to come out on DVD.

1:38 PM  
Comments Blogger Black Eyed Gurl said...

Firefox? Hmm never heard of it. I used to have a lot of expendable income so I bought a lot. Now that I have bills up my ass, not so much.

1:42 PM  
Comments Blogger mrcoolbadguy said...

I started watching Firefly earlier but apparently I was too comfy and fell asleep in the first ten minutes. I don't think I've ever watched it before. I used to watch Buffy cause she's sexy though.

10:33 PM  
Comments Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firefly rocks - can't understand why they canned the series. Also waiting for Serenity DVD to come out - missed the damn film!

4:12 AM  
Comments Blogger mrcoolbadguy said...

Just join the WaUSauMniac Turkey Day Coloring Contest and everything will fall into place. Happy Turkey Day one and all.

4:57 AM  
Comments Blogger Jackie Bolen said...

Harry Potter is where it's at! This makes me sad :(

9:03 PM  
Comments Blogger Black Eyed Gurl said...

JustWandering: I like the Harry Potter, I'm just not going to form an obsession with it!! I have nothing but love for the Potter fans, cos I'm a fan-atic myself. So I get that! I don't want you to be sad!!

Bonanza: Yeah well I'm a 26 year old who writes Firefly and Buffy/Angel fanfiction and will watch any rerun of the above mentioned shows. 33 yr old figuring out book 7? Not so strange.

10:05 PM  
Comments Blogger Riss said...

I WILL convert you. I'm a Buffy fan, a football fan, a Star Wars fan, a Star Trek fan, a martial arts movie fan, I could go on. But there's always room for Harry Potter.

3:23 PM  
Comments Blogger Riss said...

Oh and Lord of the Rings. And the Chronicles of Narnia. I spread myself around. Heh.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home