Concept4Banner1024 The Plural of Apocalypse: Owner of a Broken Heart

 Monday, February 13, 2006

Owner of a Broken Heart

Oi! I suck at landlording. So I am ammending this post to announce the new Tenant of the Week (sound trumpets now)! This week's blog is Northern Bound. Now, I have been admiring this blog for some time. It's pretty, really pretty. It's well organized, and has Chibi-like thingies all over it. My only issue: I have no freaking clue what the blog is about 99% of the time. I think this is intentional though. She has Beginner's D&D Class (no nothing sexual, the game dumbass, Dungeons and Dragons), which is one of those things I have a love/hate of. I am inwardly replused by the idea of D&D, but I am also somewhat jealous that I am not involved. It's like a geek-meeting, and apparently I'm just not geeky enough to get invited. That's my issue, not hers. I assume she is female cos I can't actually find a screen name. Aren't you intrigued now? Isn't this just all mysterious??? Yeah it is, go check her out. My poor renters have been getting screwed lately. Ya'll used to always click on them, and now not so much, this makes me sad, are we breaking up???????
Image used without permission from Boils and Blinding Toment

Songs to survive a break up to… Inspired by Michael’s Breaking Up is As Easy as 123. This isn't just a list to cry to. It's a list to stalk to, to pine with, it's a list for anyone who's desperately wanting. It's 100 or so odd songs. Ranges from the 30's through to today, just to prove how fucked up and diverse my musical tastes are. Some have album titles, others don't. It's called google if you need to know that badly.

Why now? For those of us in the single boat, well we need something to make us remember why we keep trying. It's the pain stupid. Plus it's Valentine's Day, and well, it's a good time to remember love's lost, love's squashed, and love's run away from like a screaming child runs from a clown at a birthday party. Enjoy!


Lie To Me – Depeche Mode: Some Great Reward
Something I Can Never Have – Nine Inch Nails: Pretty Hate Machine
Wonderful – Adam Ant: Wonderful
Glynis – Smashing Pumpkins: No Alternative
Tear in Your Hand – Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes
Lucky 4 You – Shedaisy
Good Bye to You – Michelle Branch: The Spirit Room
Idiot Boyfriend – Jimmy Fallon
The Trouble With Love is – Kelly Clarkson: Thankful
She Cries Your Name – Beth Orton: The Female Touch
Wish You Were Here - Incubus
Desperately Wanting – Better Than Ezra
Hit ‘em Up Style – Blu Cantrell
Letter to Elise - The Cure
Total Eclipse of the Heart – Bonnie Tyler
Out of This World – Bush
Laid - James
Wicked Game – Chris Isaak
Under the Milky Way Tonight – The Church
Bizarre Love Triangle - Frente
Trouble – Coldplay: Parachutes
Better Be Home Soon – Crowded House: Recurring Dream
Pictures of You – The Cure: Staring at the Sea
Mr. Brightside - The Killers
Time After Time – Cyndi Lauper
Somebody – Depeche Mode: Some Great Reward
This Love - Maroon 5
Come Undone – Duran Duran: Greatest
Every Time We Say Good Bye – Ella Fitzgerald
Favorite T - The Lemonheads
I Want Love – Elton John: Songs From the West Coast
Never is a Promise – Fiona Apple: Tidal
Gone Daddy Gone - The Violent Femmes
Do You Realize? – The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Where Are You Now? – Goran Kralj
Cry Me a River - Justin Timberlake
Why Can’t I? – Liz Phair: Liz Phair
The Bottom Line – Depeche Mode: Ultra
Ball & Chain - They Might be Giants
Torn – Natalie Imbruglia
Said Sadly – James Iha & Nina Gordon: Smashing Pumkins: The Aeroplane Flies High
Simple Kind of Life – No Doubt: Return of Saturn
One Way or Another - Blondie
The Ghost in You – Psychedelic Furs: All of This and Nothing
Us – Regina Spektor: Soviet Kitsch
Every Breath You Take - The Police
Never Gonna Give You Up – Rick Astley
Angels – Robbie Williams: The Ego Has Landed
True - Spandau Ballet
Rest in Pieces – Saliva: Back Into Your System
Miss You Love – Silverchair: Neon Ballroom
Cell Block Tango - Chicago Musical Soundtrack
Let Me In – Save Ferris
You’re All I’ve Got Tonight – Smashing Pumpkins
Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley: Grace
Interstate Love Song – Stone Temple Pilots
When You Come Back to Me – World Party: Reality Bites Soundtrack
All I Want is You - U2
Bittersweet Symphony – The Verve Pipe: Cruel Intentions Soundtrack
#1 Crush – Garbage: Romeo + Juliet Soundtrack
Putting the Damage On – Tori Amos: Boys for Pele
Locked Out - Crowded House
Little Heaven – Toad the Wet Sprocket: In Light Syrup
Baker, Baker – Tori Amos: Under the Pink
Lover, You Should Have Come Over - Jeff Buckley: Grace
Careless Whispers – Wham!
Love is Stronger Than Death – The The
Your Favorite Thing – Sugar
Across the Night – Silverchair: Diorama
The Chemicals Between Us – Bush
Dilate – Ani Difranco: Dilate
You Don’t Bring Me Flowers Anymore – Neil Diamond: Essential
Slept So Long – Jay Gordon: Queen of the Damned Soundtrack
Not Enough Time - INXS: Shine Like it Does
After the Love Has Gone – Earth Wind and Fire: Greatest Hits
Pure – The Lightning Seeds: CloudCuckooland
Baby Bitch – Ween: Chocolate and Cheese
Hurt – Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral
Hurt – Johnny Cash version
Tuna in the Brine – Silverchair: Diorama
32 Flavors – Ani Difranco: Not a Pretty Girl
Because of You – Kelly Clarkson: Breakaway
Near You Always – Jewel: Pieces of You
The Things You Said – Depeche Mode: Music for the Masses
Fade Into You – Mazzy Star: So Tonight That I Might See
Don’t – Jewel: Pieces of You
2 am – Ana Nalick: Wreck of the Day
Your House – Jimmy Eat World: Bleed American
Where is Your Heart – Kelly Clarkson: Breakaway
A Night Like This – The Cure: Staring at the Sea
Stuck in a Moment – U2
Never Tear Us Apart – INXS
By My Side – INXS
Are You Happy Now? – Michelle Branch: Hotel Paper
Fall Down – Toad the Wet Sprocket: Dulcinea
Something So Strong – Crowded House: Reality Bites Soundtrack
White Flag – Dido
So Much For My Happy Ending – Avril Lavine
Listen To Your Heart – DHT Piano version
You’re Beautiful – James Blunt
If You Leave – OMD
Collide – Howie Day
The Promise – When in Rome
China – Tori Amos
In a Big Country – Big Country
The Perfect Drug – Nine Inch Nails
My Immortal – Evanescence
If I Fall – Tara MaClean
Wild Horses – The Sundays
Sweet Jane – Jesus and Mary Chain: Natural Born Killers Soundtrack
Shit List – L7: Natural Born Killers Soundtrack
One – U2: Actung Baby
To You I Bestow – Mundy
The Drowning Man – The Cure: Faith
But Not Tonight – Depeche Mode: Black Celebration
It Doesn’t Matter – Depeche Mode: Some Great Reward
Trip on Love – Abra Moore
Stay (I Missed You) – Lisa Loeb
The More You Ignore Me (The Closer I Get) – Morrissey
Secretly - Skunk Anansie
Insensitive - Jann Arden
Color Blind - Counting Crows
Uninvitied - Alanis Morrisette
**Songs in Pink are newer additions

Did I forget something? Let me know in comments (that means you too lurkers!)

Votes Of Sympathy:10

Comments Blogger Knina said...

Not a bad list - I mean the Church & Goran Kralj (thanks to you that song will make me bawl until the day I die)? That is some music to slit your wrists to.

My additions:
*Depeche Mode, Only When I lose myself
*Something by the Counting Crows before they sucked. Im thinking Anna Begins or Horsedreamers Blues.
*Harry Chapin, Taxi
*Jann Arden, Insensitive
*Peter Gabriel, Blood of Eden (Live Version)
*Prescence, Far far away from my heart
*Marry Me Jane, You didnt kiss me
*Bonnie Raitt, I can't make you love me
*Black Lab, Keep Myself Awake
*Goo Goo Dolls, Acoustic #3
*Rolling Stones, Wild Horses

And after all that now Ive bummed myself out. Happy Anti V-Day Girl!

PS - I think Trip on love is an Abra Moore song

11:47 AM  
Comments Blogger Pause said...

Finally i have more songs then break ups to use tehm for! Thank you gurl ;)

5:10 PM  
Comments Blogger Riss said...

Happy V-Day anyway! I totally hated the holiday when I was single adn during my first marriage. Now I use it as an excuse to make frivolous food purchases at the supermarket. Woot!

12:10 AM  
Comments Blogger Black Eyed Gurl said...

KP: Abra Moore, check. Wild Horses, already on the list (come on like I'd forget the Sundays version from Buffy and Angel and the saddest Prom ever!). OWILM is more of a new relationship song than a break up song. Insensitive-Added.

Croaker: Glad to be of service!

Lysie: I have a hard copy on my computer so I can assemble the most painful playlist in history so the next time shit goes down I am prepared!

Riss: This year I was actually indifferent about the whole Valentines Day thing. THis is a first, usually I'm all pissed off. I think I'm growing as a person!

8:41 AM  
Comments Blogger Lonnie said...

I want that pic'...

11:12 AM  
Comments Blogger Knina said...

I missed the Wild Horses cuz of the Sundays thing, my bad. I was just throwing out some more that make me want to die.

You really think so about owilm? That song only kills me when Im single. Alternately it reminds to not justify my existence through men.

Also, the Jill Hennessy version of It's all over now baby blue (Dylan) isn't bad. It's a good assertive dumping song. I played it a lot yesterday.

11:34 AM  
Comments Blogger Onotheo said...

That's a nice songlist and the poster made me laugh :D

11:10 AM  
Comments Blogger Eric said...

Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
Red House - Jimi Hendrix
the entire "An American Prayer" by the Doors

2:43 AM  
Comments Blogger David Amulet said...

Great list! I just saw a poster for the Church up at a club where they played long ago, and a couple of days later I see the song on here. Way cool.

I may have missed it, but one of the ultimate heart-wrenchers is the Beatles, "For No One." Jerks at my tears just thinking about it.

-- david

2:33 PM  
Comments Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so ashamed. I played D&D when I was a kid, up until I was maybe 9. My brother and I went to some gaming store after hours where they had a whole 3D D&D environment set up. I loved it.

And I'd add these songs to your list:
Ever Fallen in Love (With Some One You Shouldn't've) by the Buzzcocks and Oh Shit, again by the Buzzcocks. Nothing better than a bit of "screw you" after a breakup, so you've gotta love a song that ends with "You’re shit" over and over.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home